Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Tradition for Tradition's Sake




Tradition For Tradition’s Sake


            These days many people have asked me to define myself religiously – i.e., put myself in a category. I usually tell them I am a Christian. More often than not, they will push the issue and say, “Okay, but what denomination?” If they do press those buttons, I usually respond, “I am really more non-denominational than anything. I am simply a Jesus nut.”
            They usually give me a quizzical look because they are not really sure what to do with “Jesus nut.” But, I have found this actually piques people’s interest for a moment, and they will listen to what you have to say for at least a minute or two.
            When I was growing up I only did the things that were traditionally seen in the ‘old school’ Church of Christ. I did not associate with other denominations because they were doing it wrong (or so I was taught). The is unfortunate because it really stunts a person’s spiritually growth and usually finds the resulting behavior running contrary to the things Jesus taught, like love your neighbor (ALL of your neighbors!).
I do love some of the traditions that I grew up with but I cannot hold to those that really conflict the idea of grace. We cannot accept things just because ‘that is the way we have always done it.’ Tradition for tradition’s sake may actually be harming our growth as an individual and as a church. Yes, there are certain ‘battlefield that we would die on’ like the deity of Christ, the exclusivity of Christ, and others, but these are rooted firmly in Scripture. Remember that we are to be fishers of men. If we are fishing for trout, we do not use the same methods or tackle that we use for catfish. But the idea (and the Message) is still the same no matter what tools we use or change.

No comments:

Post a Comment